Friday, June 17, 2011

mabel ruth....

This blog entry is near and dear to my heart.
It's all about this lady here...

That is my sweet mamaw Mabel Ruth Donihe... she was the queen of chicken and dumplings, dill pickles, and sweet tea... she always had my back and made sure I knew it. I love her something fierce and miss her everyday. She passed away six years ago this week... which is crazy because I didn't realize that when I started writing this.
I was fortunate enough to be given many items of hers that I will cherish, and pass along to my own kids one day. For the moment though, they are my precious little memories of her... 

The point of all this is to share with you guys my new project I am going to tackle this coming week. Two items left to me were quilts that were started by my great-grandmother, worked on by my mamaw, and will be ultimately finished by me. In the end I will have a three-generation quilt, two actually. I'm so excited about it..


Aren't they beautiful?
The whole sewing thing has come full circle in my family... my mamaw actually helped me make my first purse when i was 8.. so I like to think she would be happy to see what I am doing now.
Before I end this thing for the weekend here is my absolute favorite picture of her and my sweet papaw, John Henry Donihe ( he was fantastic, super imaginative, self taught genius tinker-er, and big kid at heart ) ....
i swear i love this on so many levels...

happy weekend everyone :)

No comments:

Post a Comment